Lady Lynx Head to State Track

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Lynx Head to State Track

Photo by Rory Trager

Photo by Rory Trager

Photo by Rory Trager

Photo by Rory Trager

Rory Trager, Reporter

Track is something that seems very easy on the outside, running around in a circle. However, the training and time that the runners put into the race is something that not all can do. This year the Girls Track Team is ranked 9th in the state. On Friday May 10th, the Girls ran in the District Meet 4-A, the final scoring for the girls was 103.5.

There are many girls that are qualified for state track this year, Darby Thomas a Senior, qualified for 100m, 200m, 100h, and LJ. Lucy Turner Junior, qualified for Shot and Disc. Hanna Schimmer, Jillian Shanks, Kensi Lasale for 4×4 and Spr Med. Kayla Schleifman also for the 4×4 and Brooke Wohlers for Spr Med. Kerigan Keefer, Moriah Heilesen, Paige Bracker, and Emma O’neil for the 4×8. 

While running is something that you physically have to train for, it is also about the mental readiness that you have. Thomas remembers while competing   Traci Stoop Coach, also believes in the work that you put in before the season starts, also while in season you have to train mentally and physically. A practice for track is an hour and a half everyday, they start with there three lap warm up then stretching, then we go into our regular workouts, sprinters on their own with Coach Schwartz, and distance and hurdlers with Coach Stoop. 

Drake Relays Happened earlier this month, at drake Darby Thomas was named the most outstanding performer in High School Girls. There were many other highlights from drake relays Thomas first in 100 meter hurdles, preliminares 4×100 , 52.76 and Thomas 19-00.00 for Long Jump.  

While trying to remember lots of things while running. It is also a lot of what the team on the side line is helping in the motivating you to finish and get that time. Thomas believes that she would not be where she is today without her teammates,coaches and family. Stoop also thinks that motivation is one of the many keys to improving, and tries to make the players know that. 

The final for the boys scoring at 4-A districts track was 24.5. Caden Tellander Sophomore felt that the guys improved a lot over the season and times were dropping a lot over the year. Personally he felt that he improved a lot over the year also from freshman year “ 12 minute 2 mile and this year I ran a 10.24 so I dropped a minute and seconds.” He also feels like districts could of been better, he feels like he ran slow that day but is still proud of his team and his work.

The state track meet will happen May 16,17 and 18.